Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wynnton School Library
WYNNTON SCHOOL LIBRARY
is the oldest such building in continuous use as a school facility in the State of Georgia. This historic site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
This marker has been placed in honor of Dr. William Henry Shaw, Superintendent of Education 1945-1973, who has been instrumental in preserving this historic site.
Erected by Wynnton School.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
Location. 32° 28.244′ N, 84° 57.506′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of Wynnton Road (Georgia Route 22) and Wildwood Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Wynnton Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2303 Wynnton Road, Columbus GA 31906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cedars (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carson McCullers (approx. 0.3 miles away); He Helped Bring And Keep Fort Benning (approx. 0.4 miles away); Camp Benning (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Elms (approx. half a mile away); “Wildwood” (approx. 0.9 miles away); The First Breech Loading Cannon (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Columbus Museum (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.