Santa Clara in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Santa Clara Tithing Granary
The Santa Clara granary contained an upper room with various compartments for storing grain-primarily wheat and corn. A basement with an earthen floor provided a cooler space for fruits and vegetables. The main door to the granary was on the east, and a window was placed on the south in the upper part of the small building. The basement had small windows on the east and west and was reached by steps that went down on the south.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints owned the granary until about 1927. At that time it was sold to Emil Gubler along with the tithing barn that had been to the south and east of the granary. The purchase took place with the stipulation
Upon possession of the granary, Emil eliminated all but one of the bins in the top to increase space for his storage needs. The basement bins were left in tact. After a number of years, the roof over the fruit cellar steps collapsed and was never replaced.
Local lore recalls that a favorite pastime of teenage boys was to "lighten" the store of apples. They would sharpen the ends of long sticks and spear apples through the west windows for an afternoon snack.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1927.
Location. 37° 7.973′ N, 113° 39.336′ W. Marker is in Santa Clara, Utah, in Washington County. Marker is on West Santa Clara Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3105 West Santa Clara Drive, Santa Clara UT 84765, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Clara Merc (here, next to this marker); Swiss Colony (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Clara Relief Society House (about 600 feet away); John George and Susette Bosshard Hafen Home (about 600 feet away); Hug-Gubler HomeThe Settling of Santa Clara / First Public Buildings / Missionaries and Settlers (about 600 feet away); Preston and Vella Ruth Hafen Home (about 700 feet away); Frederick and Anna Reber Home (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Clara.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 392 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.