Santa Clara in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Santa Clara Merc
The early citizens of Santa Clara were tired of having to go by wagon to St. George for their meager supplies, so a group of them got together and decided to open their own store. None of them had any experience running a mercantile business, but they chose John G. Hafen to be the manager…Before long, Grandpa Hafen brought the other stockholders out and with the small capital of ten dollars began to build up a mercantile business of his own. His work took him from home so much
The store was a small room in their home, but the business continued to increase, so in 1900 a small brick building was erected adjoining their house. The business remained at this location even though grandpa retired in 1917 and sold the business to his son Adolph and two grandchildren. It continued to be a general store, handling all varieties of goods needed by a community. It was the only mercantile ever established in Santa Clara.
In 1928 a new modern building of concrete block and adobe was constructed one block west of the original site. It was a much larger store and also had space for a large garage. The garage was rented to the Stucki & Wittwer Produce Company, and gas pumps were installed outside the store.
The new store was named the Santa Clara Coop and was still owned by the Hafens. In the late 1930's merchandise became extremely difficult to buy, and the inventory dwindled to almost nothing. The store was sold to Adolph's daughter Ethel and husband Horace McArthur. They moved home from California and took over operations on September 1, 1945. The majority of Adolph's business was run on credit, and this tradition became a way of life when dealing with McArthur's Santa Clara Merc.
Horace and Ethel expanded the store and its merchandise. The Merc was known to
The Santa Clara Merc continued to operate for another ten years until the competition of modern supermarkets forced it to close.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 7.972′ N, 113° 39.334′ W. Marker is in Santa Clara, Utah, in Washington County. Marker is on West Santa Clara Drive, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3097 West Santa Clara Drive, Santa Clara UT 84765, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Clara Tithing Granary (here, next to this marker); Swiss Colony (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Santa Clara Relief Society House (about 600 feet away); John George and Susette Bosshard Hafen Home (about 600 feet away); Hug-Gubler Home (about 600 feet away); The Settling of Santa Clara / First Public Buildings / Missionaries and Settlers (about 600 feet away); Preston and Vella Ruth Hafen Home (about 700 feet away); Frederick and Anna Reber Home (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Clara.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 389 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.