Ellis in Ellis County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Ellis' Original Main Street
Officially organized and founded as a city in 1870, the first street laid out and used was known as Edwards Street (now west 9th). The heart of Ellis' business district started and grew here offering such services as hotels, saloons, general stores, barber shops, cafes, a post office, hardware and drygoods stores, doctor and dentist offices, express offices, meat markets, drug stores, and many others.
The top photo shows Ellis in her infancy as it looked in the mid 1870's. The bottom photo shows Ellis approximately 10 years later. On the right of each photo the railroad shops can be seen. First run by the Kansas Pacific Railway, then taken over by the Union Pacific in the 1880's, the line is still operated by the Union Pacific today, though it is no longer a major division point and maintenance center.
The only early buildings still standing today are the two tall buildings seen in the center of the bottom photo. The well shown in the bottom photo was dug by Tom Daly, an early merchant whose store was across the street to the north of the well.
Dedicated to John Begler for his work on the Historical Walking
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 56.29′ N, 99° 33.662′ W. Marker is in Ellis, Kansas, in Ellis County. Marker is on 9th Street near Washington Street, on the left when traveling west. Marker is in the park north of the railroad tracks. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ellis KS 67637, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Ellis House (here, next to this marker); Settlers from Bukovina, Austria (a few steps from this marker); War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hickey Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Praying John Horrigan (within shouting distance of this marker); The Grand Army Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); History of The Walter P. Chrysler Boyhood Home (about 600 feet away).
Also see . . . Welcome to Ellis, Kansas. (Submitted on September 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 4, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.