Ashland in Boyd County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Organized June 11, 1819, at home of Maj. Jas. Poage, north of this spot, as Bethesda Presbyterian Church by Rev. Robert Wilson with 20 members. First a mile SW on Pollard Rd.; moved 1828 to Beech Grove, ½ mile W. and in 1858 to this corner as First Presbyterian Church, oldest Boyd County church building and congregation, 1971.
Marker presented by Church members
Erected 1971 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1416.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 11, 1942.
Location. 38° 28.703′ N, 82° 38.365′ W. Marker is in Ashland, Kentucky, in Boyd County. Marker is at the intersection of Winchester Avenue and 16th Street / Judd Plaza, on the right when traveling east on Winchester Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1600 Winchester Avenue, Ashland KY 41101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wiard Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Ashland Gov. Simeon Willis (approx. ¼ mile away); Indian Mounds (approx. ¼ mile away); Alexander Bagby House (approx. 0.4 miles away); 2015 Inductees (approx. 0.4 miles away); 2016 Inductees (approx. 0.4 miles away); 2017 Inductees (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashland.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 614 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 6, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.