1830 - 1900
The city introduced services to Mt. Auburn - water, gas, schools, and public transportation. In turn, the residents provided the city with cultural, economic, and political leadership. By the late 19th century, Mt. Auburn became a densely populated neighborhood with commercial, industrial, and civic activities.
In the 1960s, some of the aging buildings were abandoned. The community began an ongoing effort to adapt the older buildings for new uses.
Marker contains sketches of homes along Auburn Avenue.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 39° 7.175′ N, 84° 30.512′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Howard Taft / Robert Alphonso Taft (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Alphonso Taft (within shouting distance of this marker); Edison R. "Big Ed" Thompson (approx. 0.6 miles away); Albert Washington (approx. 0.6 miles away); Findlay Market / General James Findlay (approx. 0.6 miles away); Woodward High School / School for Creative and Performing Arts (approx. 0.6 miles away); Anti-German Hysteria (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Kroger Co. / Over-The-Rhine (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cincinnati.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 10, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 363 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 10, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.