Paw Paw in Van Buren County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Van Buren County / Van Buren County Courthouse
Settlers attracted by lumbering came to this area in the 1830s. By the 1860s a mild climate, rich soil and easy access to the Chicago markets created a thriving fruit industry in Van Buren County. The county was one of thirteen platted by the territorial legislature in 1829, and one of six named for Andrew Jackson's cabinet members. A gubernatorial commission chose Lawrence as the seat of government, however, when the county was set-off in 1837, the board of supervisors chose Paw Paw. When the board decided to build a new courthouse in 1900, it considered moving the county seat. South Haven, the county's largest town, Lawrence, and Hartford all vied for the designation. In a county-wide election on April 1, 1901, citizens voted to keep the county seat in Paw Paw.
Van Buren County Courthouse
Van Buren County officials occupied the first county courthouse (the present Paw Paw City Hall) in 1845. On September 2, 1901, Frank O. Gilbert, the Grand Master of the Free and Accepted Masons, laid the cornerstone for the present courthouse. Members of the Grand Army of the Republic and fraternal
Erected 1990 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number 556.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 12.989′ N, 85° 53.405′ W. Marker is in Paw Paw, Michigan, in Van Buren County. Marker is on East Paw Paw Street 0 miles east of South Kalamazoo Street (Michigan Highway 40), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 E Paw Paw St, Paw Paw MI 49079, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paw Paw Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); William Killefer Jr. / Wade Killefer (approx. ¼ mile away); Charles R. Maxwell (approx. ¼ Warner Wine Haus (approx. ¼ mile away); Territorial Road (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Mark's Church / The Reverend Darius Barker (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lawton Civil War Monument (approx. 3.8 miles away); Houppert Winery (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paw Paw.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 11, 2012. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 11, 2012. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.