Columbia in Boone County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Site of Columbia College
On this site stood Columbia College an institution of higher learning for men. First proposed in 1831, chartered by General Assembly in 1833, began its work in 1834. First session of University of Missouri held here in 1841. This college has been called the seed from which grew the University of Missouri.
This marker erected by the
Daughters of the American Colonists
John Corbin Chapter
June 8th, 1933
Mrs. Edward Thurman Smith, State Regent
Mrs. B. J. Dangerfield, Chapter Regent
Erected 1933 by State Society, Daughters of the American Colonists, and John Corbin Chapter.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Colonists marker series.
Location. 38° 56.832′ N, 92° 19.862′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Missouri, in Boone County. Marker is on 6th Street south of Chestnut Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the grounds of the Missouri State Teachers Association. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Beetle Bailey (approx. ¼ mile away); The Mel Carnahan Quadrangle (approx. ¼ mile away); Memorial Union Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); George Clinton Swallow (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Shannon L.L.D. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Columbia Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Don Faurot / Faurot Field (approx. 0.7 miles away); Columbia (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . History of Columbia College. (Submitted on September 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features •
More. Search the internet for Site of Columbia College.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 14, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.