Belfast in Waldo County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
— The Museum in the Streets —
The First Church congregation built this meeting house and dedicated it on November 15, 1818. The frame was raised by men from Belfast and neighboring towns. The parish committee provided a barrel of punch for the workers. Notable features include a Paul Revere bell, the first church bell in Belfast, hung the following year, and the town-owned clock built in 1836 by Phineas Quimby and Major Timothy Chase. Over the years the church has been lovingly maintained by its congregation. In 1975 the George Stevens tracker organ, which was installed in 1848, was fully restored, and the clock tower and steeple were refurbished in 1998. The first minister of the church, the Rev. William Frothingham, served for 27 years and many distinguished ministers have followed in his footsteps.
Erected 2004 by The Museum in the Streets®. (Marker Number 11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the The Museum in the Streets®: Belfast, Maine series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1896.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Belfast ME 04915, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Opera House / L'Opéra (within shouting distance of this marker); Belfast, Maine (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Office Square / La place de la poste (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Downtown Main Street / La rue principale en centre-ville (about 300 feet away); Education First and Foremost / L'éducation, d'abord et surtout (about 300 feet away); Civil War Hero / Héros de la guerre de sécession (about 500 feet away); The Windsor Hotel / L'Hôtel Windsor (about 500 feet away); A Benevolent Bequest / Un legs généreux (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belfast.
More about this marker. Marker #11 (of 30) in "The Museum in the Streets". The text on the Marker is in English, followed by a French translation.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 456 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 15, 2012, by James True of Newark, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Transcription of the French text • Can you help?