Flagstaff in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Babbitt Brothers Building
His brothers William, George, Charles and Edward eventually joined him in the enterprise. In 1891, when Coconino County was formed, it had no office building, so the Babbitt Brothers added to their building, renting space to the county. From 1891 – 1894, part of this building was, in effect, the Coconino County Courthouse. In 1904, another addition was constructed. The additions ran north along San Francisco Street, and then wrapped around the original core to meet Aspen Avenue.
The Babbitt Brothers store eventually grew to become the largest department store in Arizona and had an amazing array of goods under it roof.
In 1957, during a modernizing campaign, a smooth stucco facing was placed over the original red sandstone. Thirty years later, competition from shopping centers forced the closure
Erected 1995 by Babbitt Foundation, Richard & Sherry Mangum & Main Street Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings.
Location. 35° 11.891′ N, 111° 38.859′ W. Marker is in Flagstaff, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is at the intersection of East Aspen Avenue and North San Francisco Street. on East Aspen Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 East Aspen Avenue, Flagstaff AZ 86001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Verkamp Building (a few steps from this marker); Ricket & Brooks Bldg. (within shouting distance of this marker); Flagstaff's Founding (within shouting distance of this marker); Donahue Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Weatherford Hotel (about 400 feet away); Aubineau / Andreatos Building (about 400 feet away); Telephone Exchange (about 400 feet away); Coconino Chop House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flagstaff.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 726 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.