Flagstaff in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
John G. Verkamp came to Flagstaff in the 1890s. He first worked for the Babbitts (three of his sisters were married to Babbitt brothers), then succeeded in a number of businesses on his own, including lumber, livestock and merchandising. He is best known today for the Verkamp curio store at the Grand Canyon.
In 1899, Verkamp and T.A. Rickel constructed this brick building. The men rented the upper floor to the Elks, so it was known as the Elks Hall.
The ground floor was occupied most of its life by drug stores. Among the drug store operators were Kahl, Breen and Moore. The basement became Flagstaff’s first bowling alley.
McGaugh’s Newstand moved here in 1978.
In 1926, when construction of the Monte Vista Hotel began, the newspaper office was on the hotel site. Fred Breen, the newspaper owner, built a new office for the paper next to this building, which he also owned. In 1927, he applied new brick facing to tie the two buildings together. The Elks moved the same year, and the upper floor was converted to apartments.
Erected 1994 by Shirley & James Westbrook,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Animals • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 35° 11.881′ N, 111° 38.854′ W. Marker is in Flagstaff, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is at the intersection of North San Francisco Street and East Aspen Avenue on North San Francisco Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 North San Francisco Street, Flagstaff AZ 86001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ricket & Brooks Bldg. (a few steps from this marker); Babbitt Brothers Building (a few steps from this marker); Flagstaff's Founding (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Donahue Building (about 300 feet away); Aubineau / Andreatos Building (about 300 feet away); Coconino Chop House (about 400 feet away); "The Gandy Dancer" (about 400 feet away); Weatherford Hotel (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flagstaff.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 502 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.