Flagstaff in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Ricket & Brooks Bldg.
In 1905 T.A. Rickel bought the property. F.E. Brooks bought a half interest from Rickel in 1910 and the pair added a slogan to The Office name, “A Resort for Gentlemen.”
In March 1911 Rickel and Brooks bought the lot to the south at 20 N. San Francisco Street, which also contained a wooden building. Rickel and Brooks removed both frame buildings and on July 17, 1911, broke ground for the building that is here today, which spans both lots. It is made of brick, with a tuff (native volcanic stone) facing.
The new Office was a success, but all Arizona saloons were shut down when the state adopted Prohibition effective January 15, 1915. Over the years since then the building has been home to a variety of businesses including cafes, dry cleaning establishments and clothing stores.
Many residents remember the north half as Etter’s Milk Depot from 1928 until 1945.
Erected 1996 by Shirley Westbrook, Sue Bushey Gregg, & Parker Gregg, Richard & Sherry Mangum and the Main Street Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is January 15, 1900.
Location. 35° 11.873′ N, 111° 38.858′ W. Marker is in Flagstaff, Arizona, in Coconino County. Marker is on North San Francisco Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 22 North San Francisco Street, Flagstaff AZ 86001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Verkamp Building (a few steps from this marker); Babbitt Brothers Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Flagstaff's Third Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Donahue Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Federal Building / Flagstaff's Fifth Post Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Aubineau / Andreatos Building (about 300 feet away); Flagstaff's Founding (about 300 feet away); "The Gandy Dancer" (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flagstaff.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 679 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 15, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.