Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Diggings in Lafayette County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Augustine Church

 
 
St. Augustine Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gordon Govier, September 11, 2012
1. St. Augustine Church Marker
Inscription.  Striking in its classical simplicity, this little frame church 30x50 has stood on the New Diggings Hill since its construction in 1844-47 as a place of worship for the Irish mining families of the vicinity. A beautiful example of Greco-Gothic Revival architecture, it was designed and constructed by Father Samuel Mazzuchelli OP (1806-1864) who served as itinerant missionary, pastor, and builder in the tri-state area during his years of ministry (1835-1864) in the American Midwest. The exterior is plank siding, scored and painted to resemble large blocks of limestone. The interior has hand-hewn pews, a carved altar, and sanctuary carpeting that reproduces the original. The famous Meneely bell in the tower was brought from the Meneely foundry in West Troy, New York and installed in 1847. Below the church is a small school room where a Dominican sister from Sinsinawa taught 60 pupils in the late 1840's. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Father Samuel Mazzuchelli Assembly, Knights of Columbus provided for a historical restoration of the church to its original beauty in 2007.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2007 by Father Samuel Mazzuchelli Assembly, Knights of Columbus.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 42° 32.017′ N, 90° 20.034′ W. Marker is in New Diggings, Wisconsin, in Lafayette County. Marker is on High Street, 0.1 miles east of County Road I, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shullsburg WI 53586, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dominican Sisters Gravesite (approx. 3.3 miles away); Benton Wisconsin Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); Benton Fire Bell (approx. 3˝ miles away); Father Samuel Mazzuchelli (approx. 4.4 miles away); Wisconsin Lead Region (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Old Chicago Stageroad (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Point Of Beginning (approx. 5˝ miles away); Historical Badger Park (approx. 5.6 miles away).
 
St. Augustine Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gordon Govier, September 11, 2012
2. St. Augustine Church
St. Augustine Church information image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gordon Govier, September 11, 2012
3. St. Augustine Church information
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2012, by Gordon Govier of Fitchburg, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2012, by Gordon Govier of Fitchburg, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=59534

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024