Cedar City in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Cedar City Tabernacle
Mayhew Dalley drew the plans for a building 72 x 41-1/2 feet with a tower 110 feet high. Edward J. Ashton of Salt Lake City was engaged as architect and Bengt Nelson was appointed director. The excavation was dug in 1872, but because labor was needed on the St. George Temple, the work was postponed until 1877. The Tabernacle was built of local materials except for the windows. Lumber was cut in Deep Creek, the bricks were burned south of town, shingles were made, and plastering was done. The stone tablet inscribed "Holiness to the Lord" was placed in 1885.
The town clock in the tower was a gift from the city and ward. A ball and weather indicator topped the tower. Conference was held in the unplastered building in 1887. A gallery was added later. December 20, 1931, the U.S. Government approved the purchase of the ground for a post office. The last meeting was held in the historic Tabernacle in 1932 prior
Erected 1990 by Coal Creek Camp, Iron Mission Camp & Aunt Margaret Camp – Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 452.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list.
Location. 37° 40.651′ N, 113° 3.653′ W. Marker is in Cedar City, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is on East Center Street 0.1 miles east of North Main Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cedar City UT 84720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cedar City Founder (within shouting distance of this marker); Ward Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Social Hall (about 400 feet away); Richard Harrison (about 500 feet away); Pioneer Stockman (about 600 feet away); Heroine of China (approx. ¼ mile away); Escalante Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); Cedar City Railroad Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedar City.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.