Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Cedar City in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Ward Hall

Erected 1897

 
 
Ward Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
1. Ward Hall Marker
Inscription.  Site of Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints recreation building known as the Ward Hall. Rushed to completion in the fall of 1897 and deeded to the State of Utah so the Branch Normal School of the University of Utah could be legally operated for its first year. The building was the first home of Southern Utah State College. The Ward Hall was returned to the LDS Church in the fall of 1898 on completion of the Old Main on the Temple Knoll.
The Cedar City National Guard Armory stood on this site from 1937-1978.
 
Erected 1985 by The Cedar City Birthday Committee.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation.
 
Location. 37° 40.693′ N, 113° 3.605′ W. Marker is in Cedar City, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is on North 100 East 0.1 miles north of East Center Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cedar City UT 84720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Social Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Cedar City Tabernacle
Ward Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
2. Ward Hall Marker
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cedar City Founder (about 500 feet away); Richard Harrison (about 600 feet away); Pioneer Stockman (about 600 feet away); Heroine of China (approx. 0.2 miles away); Escalante Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cedar City Railroad Depot (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedar City.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 393 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 16, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 6, 2020