Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Enoch in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Enoch Schoolhouse and Tithing Office

 
 
Enoch Schoolhouse and Tithing Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
1. Enoch Schoolhouse and Tithing Office Marker
Inscription.  Schoolhouse - The second schoolhouse in Enoch was a two-story structure built on this site in 1917-1918. It was a brick building containing two classrooms, two libraries, two bathrooms and a furnace room. Only one room served as a classroom, and one was sometimes used as a playroom during the winter. Between twenty and thirty students a year attended this school in grades one through six. The building was used until Iron County bussed the students from Enoch to Cedar City. It was torn down some years later.
Tithing Office - On the site across the street and one-half block to the west are the remains of the Bishop's storehouse and tithing office. The wooden building, 20 feet by 17 feet 9 inches, had a tall peaked roof, an outside staircase, and looked like an ordinary granary. It contained bins both in the basement and on the main floor. These bins were used to store grain, potatoes and other crops that were brought in as tithing payments. Tithing produce was used to help those in need. Sometimes seed, such as wheat, was loaned to the farmers at planting time to be paid back after the harvest.
 
Erected
Enoch Schoolhouse and Tithing Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
2. Enoch Schoolhouse and Tithing Office Marker
1995 by Johnson Fort Camp – Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 480.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list.
 
Location. 37° 46.373′ N, 113° 1.585′ W. Marker is in Enoch, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is on Jones Road 0.1 miles west of Enoch Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cedar City UT 84721, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Johnson's Fort (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jones Iron Works Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sylvanus Cyrus Hulet (approx. 5.3 miles away); First Cedar Encampment (approx. 5.4 miles away); Cedar City Historic Pioneer Cemetery Wall (approx. 6 miles away); The Caboose (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Ore Shovel (approx. 6.1 miles away); Legacies of Iron County (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Enoch.
 
Enoch Schoolhouse and Tithing Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, August 29, 2012
3. Enoch Schoolhouse and Tithing Office Marker
Old Spanish Trail Monument image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner
4. Old Spanish Trail Monument
Approximately 400 feet east is a marker placed by the Cedar Breaks District Boy Scouts - Troop No. 336 honoring the scouts that traveled the Old Spanish Trail.
Old Spanish Trail Monument image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner
5. Old Spanish Trail Monument
Old Spanish Trail Monument image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner
6. Old Spanish Trail Monument
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 17, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 8, 2020