Macon in Bibb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration
Erected 2012 by Major Philip Cook Chapter, National Society United States Daughters of 1812 and the Fort Hawkins Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the United States Daughters of 1812, National Society series list.
Location. 32° 50.967′ N, 83° 36.683′ W. Marker is in Macon, Georgia, in Bibb County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Macon GA 31217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Hawkins (here, next to this marker); Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Hawkins (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dunlap House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battles of Dunlap Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 0.7 miles away); Central City College / Georgia Baptist College (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named The Dunlap House (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Macon.
Regarding War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration. The present Fort Hawkins blockhouse is a replica on the original site, constructed in 1938 by the Nathaniel Macon Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 625 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 17, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.