Parowan in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
First School House and Council House in Iron County
The first school house, 18 x 24 feet, was built west of the Council House and dedicated December 25, 1851. This log Council House, 22 x 45 feet was erected in 1851 with a large stage, and it served as a social center for Iron County until the Rock Church was completed in 1867.
Erected 1949 by Iron County Company, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 135.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1836.
Location. 37° 50.412′ N, 112° 49.643′ W. Marker is in Parowan, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and 100 South, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Marker is on the southeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Parowan UT 84761, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John C. Freemont Memorial (within shouting distance of this Pioneer Sundial (within shouting distance of this marker); Jesse N. Smith Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Jesse N. Smith Home (about 300 feet away); Pioneer Rock Church (about 300 feet away); William and Julia Lyman House (about 400 feet away); D.U.P. Relic Hall (about 500 feet away); Public Works (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parowan.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 439 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.