Paragonah in Iron County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The fort was 105 feet square with walls 3 feet thick at the base. A second story was added in 1857. A large room served as church, school and amusement hall. Homes were built around the inside of the wall. The public square includes the site of the fort which was town down in 1879.
Erected 1936 by Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association and the People of Paragonah. (Marker Number 61.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Utah Pioneer Trails and Landmarks Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
Location. 37° 53.209′ N, 112° 46.516′ W. Marker is in Paragonah, Utah, in Iron County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 79 North Main Street, Paragonah UT 84760, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this markerParagonah Town Square (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tithing Lot and Relief Society Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Pioneer Rock Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Public Works (approx. 4.3 miles away); D.U.P. Relic Hall (approx. 4.3 miles away); First School House and Council House in Iron County (approx. 4.3 miles away); Pioneer Sundial (approx. 4.3 miles away); John C. Freemont Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paragonah.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 856 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.