Near Vischer Ferry in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Whipple Iron Truss Bridge
Gift of the Citizens of Montgomery County
Originally built by Squire Whipple across the Enlarged Erie Canal at Sprakers in 1869
This type of bridge was adopted by the Canal Commissioners in the 1850s as the standard iron bridge to cross the Canal
Moved to Fonda, NY across the Cayudatta Creek in 1919
Rehabilitated and constructed by Dr. Francis E. Griggs, Jr., the students, faculty and friends of Union College and the Town of Clifton Park
Stone work for the abutments is from the Rexford Aqueduct
Plaque Gift of Clough, Harbour Associates LLP
Erected 1998 by Clough, Harbour Associates LLP.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Erie Canal series list.
Location. 42° 47.567′ N, 73° 47.769′ W. Marker is near Vischer Ferry, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Riverview Road just from Van Vranken RoadTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rexford NY 12148, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Erie Canal (a few steps from this marker); Vischer Ferry Nature and Historic Preserve (within shouting distance of this marker); Cast Iron Whipple Truss Bridge, 1869 (within shouting distance of this marker); Clutes Dry Dock (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Clute’s Dry Dock (approx. one mile away); Fox Preserve (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lock 19 (approx. 1.3 miles away); Van Den Bergh (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vischer Ferry.
More about this marker. The stacked plank construction of the wall on which the plaques are mounted is a sample of the decking currently in place on the bridge.
Also see . . . Squire Whipple. (Submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 471 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 23, 2012, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.