Meridian in Lauderdale County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Formerly Sowashee, it was
chartered 1860, and throve
as rail junction during the
Civil War, serving in 1863
as temporary capital and as
depository of the state's
Erected 1949 by Mississippi Historical Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 32° 21.87′ N, 88° 41.746′ W. Marker is in Meridian, Mississippi, in Lauderdale County. Marker is on Front Street near 18th Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Located at Meridian Union Station. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Meridian MS 39301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Depot Historic District (a few steps from this marker); Railroads and the War (within shouting distance of this marker); Sherman's "Bow Tie" (within shouting distance of this marker); Meridian's "C" Battery (about Jimmie Rodgers & The Blues (about 400 feet away); Moe Bandy (about 600 feet away); Freedom Riders (about 700 feet away); Elsie McWilliams (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Meridian.
Also see . . . Meridian, Mississippi, from Wikipedia. Established in 1860 at the intersection of the Mobile and Ohio Railroad and Southern Railway of Mississippi, Meridian relied heavily on the rails and goods transported on them. Union Station is now also home to several other modes of transportation, including the Meridian Transit System, Greyhound Buses, and Trailways, averaging 242,360 passengers per year. During the American Civil War, much of the city was burned to the ground by General William Tecumseh Sherman in the Battle of Meridian.
During the American Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s, Meridian was home to a Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) office and several other activist organizations. (Submitted on September 23, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 25, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.