Hays in Ellis County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
United States Land Office
Built as a dry goods store by Hill P. Wilson in 1874, this stone building was the home of the Government Land Office from 1875 till 1877, and possibly as late as 1879, when the office was moved to WaKeeney. Thousands of pioneers filed homestead and timber claims at the U.S. Land Office of Hays City between 1874 and 1879. In 1896 this building became the hardware store of George Philip who had come to Ellis County from Scotland in 1873 as a member of George Grant's Victoria Colony.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 52.234′ N, 99° 19.898′ W. Marker is in Hays, Kansas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street and Main Street, on the left when traveling west on 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 719 Main Street, Hays KS 67601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Otero & Sellar's Warehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church Santa Fe Mail Company Depot (about 400 feet away); James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok (about 400 feet away); The Pioneer Store (about 500 feet away); “Dog” Kelley’s Faro House (about 500 feet away); Judge Joyce’s Court (about 500 feet away); Union Pacific House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hays.
Also see . . .
1. Philip Hardware Store National Register Nomination. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Ellis County, Kansas. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. City of Hays, Kansas - History. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 578 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.