Victoria in Ellis County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
The first twenty-three families of Volga-Germans arrived in Victoria on April 8, 1876, and established the Village of Herzog in the area north of this point. The first religious activities of these settlers centered around the Village Cross. In the following months and years they were joined by many more Volga-German immigrants. The community outgrew three church buildings before the present church was completed in 1912. This statue, a tribute to these pioneers, was dedicated July 28, 1976.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 38° 51.427′ N, 99° 9.087′ W. Marker is in Victoria, Kansas, in Ellis County. Marker is at the intersection of Cathedral Avenue and 10th Street, on the left when traveling north on Cathedral Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Victoria KS 67671, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cathedral of the Plains (within shouting distance of this marker); Capuchin - Franciscan Friars Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); In Memory of the SETH Siblings (approx. 0.7 miles away); Union Pacific Employees Killed In Cheyenne Indian Raid (approx. 0.7 miles away); Victoria (approx. ¾ mile away); Merci Train Boxcar (approx. 8.1 miles away); Avenue of Flags (approx. 9.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
Also see . . .
1. Founding Settlers of Herzog. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. St. Fidelis Church; The Cathedral of the Plains. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Germans from Russia in Kansas. (Submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 26, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.