Fayetteville in Washington County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Fayetteville's Earliest Methodist Church
Stood on this site
1840 – 1899
The Methodist Episcopal Church in Fayetteville was organized in 1832. The modest frame building of 1840, destroyed by fire during the Civil War, was replaced by a brick structure in 1868 as the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
Historical marker presented by Central United Methodist Church in 1992, to commemorate the 160th year.
Erected 1992 by Central United Methodist Church.
Location. 36° 3.765′ N, 94° 9.68′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, Arkansas, in Washington County. Marker is on Center Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 West Center Street, Fayetteville AR 72701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lewis Brothers Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Mrs. Young Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Reiff House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Stone House Significant Dates in Fayetteville History (about 400 feet away); Fayetteville Center Square (about 400 feet away); Evolution of Fayetteville (about 400 feet away); First Confederate Company Organized in Washington County (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
Also see . . . Central United Methodist Church History. (Submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Fayetteville's Earliest Methodist Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 303 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.