Constitution Island in Philipstown in Putnam County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built in 1779, Redoubt 6 demonstrates the Army’s concern for fortifying the high ground. Necessary for its defense were approximately 115 infantrymen; no cannon were listed for this redoubt.
The integrated West Point fortification system provided strong defenses against land assault on its Hudson River obstructions, consisting of the Great Chain, the river batteries, and Fort Clinton. Fort Putnam was the key to land defense on the western side, and on both sides of the river, several smaller forts or redoubts, including three on Constitution Island and two behind the town of Garrison, occupied commanding hills and comprised the outer ring of the fortification system.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1779.
Location. 41° 24.237′ N, 73° 57.1′ W. Marker is in Philipstown, New York, in Putnam County. It is on Constitution Island. Marker is on Constitution Island, at the U.S. Military Academy. Redoubt 6 and the marker can be accessed from a marked trail beginning just north of the caretaker’s house. Touch for map Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Redoubt 5 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Warner House (about 700 feet away); Anna B. Warner Memorial Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Great Chain (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hill Cliff Battery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Marine Battery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gravel Hill Battery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Constitution Area (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philipstown.
Also see . . . The Revolutionary War on Constitution Island. The Constitution Island Association website. (Submitted on September 29, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 29, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.