Fayetteville in Washington County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
1834 - 1951
This Ante-Bellum Home was built on land granted to Washington County by an Act of Congress to build a court house, entitled “An Act for the Relief of Fayetteville, in the Territory of Arkansas,” and signed June 26, 1834 by President Andrew Jackson
At the “Historic Auctions” held July 17, 1837, Lots 6 & 7, upon which this building stands, sold to the highest bidder for $36.
Henry Reiff acquired title in 1857 and built this residence the same year. It was used as a commissary by the Confederate army in 1862. After the Battle of Fayetteville, April 18, 1863, it was held by Union soldiers.
Joseph Holcomb bought this property May 27, 1873 and March 22, 1876, sold it to Dr. James W. Jones who in 1883 deeded it to his brother, Theodore F. Jones
In 1941 A. D. & Margaret Callison purchased the property.
This marker placed June 26, 1951, by the Washington County Historical Society on the 117th anniversary of the passage of the Act of Congress above referred to.
Erected 1951 by Washington County
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1915.
Location. 36° 3.771′ N, 94° 9.738′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, Arkansas, in Washington County. Marker is on College Street west of Church Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 206 West Center Street, Fayetteville AR 72701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Stone House (within shouting distance of this marker); Fayetteville's Earliest Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lewis Brothers Building (about 500 feet away); Mrs. Young Block (about 500 feet away); Significant Dates in Fayetteville History (about 700 feet away); Fayetteville Center Square (about 700 feet away); Evolution of Fayetteville (about 700 feet away); First Confederate Company Organized in Washington County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 419 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.