Fayetteville in Washington County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The State and Land-Grant University of Arkansas
The University of Arkansas came into being under the Morrell Land-Grant College Act of 1862, through which federal land sales established colleges devoted to “agriculture and mechanic arts,” scientific and classical studies, and military tactics for the “liberal and practical education of the industrial classes.” It also satisfied the provision in the Arkansas Constitution of 1868 that the General Assembly “establish and maintain a State University.” Fayetteville and Washington County raised $130,000 for the new college, which held its first classes January 22, 1872, on the William McIlroy farmstead, a location described as “second to none in the State of Arkansas.”
Erected 1999 by Arkansas Alumni Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Government & Politics. A significant historical date for this entry is January 22, 1915.
Location. 36° 4.004′ N, 94° 10.133′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, Arkansas, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Dickson StreetTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fayetteville AR 72701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Will Rogers (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); James William Fulbright (about 700 feet away); The Razorbacks (approx. 0.2 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. Ό mile away); Reiff House (approx. half a mile away); The Stone House (approx. half a mile away); Fayetteville's Earliest Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away); Lewis Brothers Building (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
Also see . . . University of Arkansas. (Submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 29, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.