Clayton in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Growler Saloon – Goethals Building
Two Historic Clayton Buildings
One was an 1870’s home that Jack Duncan rebuilt circa 1908. It became a store, post office (1926 – 1937), barber shop, and the Growler Saloon. Adjacent (east) was Justice of the Peace Gus L. Goethals’ Insurance and Real Estate office built it 1898. Patrons “banked” in his large safe.
The saloon was moved north of its original site by Joe Pastor and Ed Minadeo, to open the Growler Restaurant in 1973. Josef and Marie Salas bought the property and moved Goethals’ building along side the Growlers, restoring both to establish La Cocotte Restaurant in 1975.
Ingrid and Rudi Hempell bought La Cocotte in 1976. Ingrid won city recognition for 25 years of improving and operating La Cocotte. In 2002 she sold the business to John and Sharon Johnston, who renamed the restaurant “The Fox and the Fiddle.”
Erected 2003 by Clayton Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce Notable Buildings.
Location. 37° 56.482′ N, 121° 56.076′ W. Marker is in Clayton, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Main Street west of Marsh Creek Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clayton CA 94517, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Eucalyptus Grove (a few steps from this marker); The Joel Clayton House (a few steps from this marker); Joaquin Murrieta (within shouting distance of this marker); The Clayton Club (within shouting distance of this marker); Black Diamond Way (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Clayton Post Office (about 300 feet away); Clayton (about 400 feet away); Clayton Cash Store (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clayton.
Also see . . . The Growler. Jack Duncan built the building on the left (west) side in the 1870s as a home, possibly for his sister. In 1898, Judge Gus Goethals purchased the property. His brother Jack operated a barbershop in this house. In 1909-1910, Mr. and Mrs. LeClaire purchased the building; somewhere between 1908 and 1910 a façade was added and the building became a store. (Submitted on October 1, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 389 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.