Eureka Springs in Carroll County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The Western District Courthouse
Eureka Springs was incorporated on Valentine's Day in 1880. At that time, the only courthouse was in the county seat of Berryville, some 12 miles to the east. This was a great distance at the time, the roads were bad, and the King's River had to be forded if it was passable. As a result, the citizens of Eureka Springs petitioned for their own courthouse, and in 1883, the Arkansas General Assembly enacted legislation to create the Western Judicial District of Carroll County. In 1906 Claude A. Fuller was elected mayor of Eureka Springs. A rented room was being used as a courthouse and the town wanted a new one. The problem was to get the Quorum Court, composed of all the Justices of the Peace in the county, to approve an appropriation for the purpose of building the courthouse. The night before the matter of the appropriation was to come before the Court, Mayor Fuller discovered that two Justices of the Peace from the Western District of the county were absent, and he needed their votes. He telephoned the Chief of Police in Eureka Springs and instructed him to go out on horseback, leading two horses for the justices to use, and bring the
Erected by in Partnership with the Greater Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce and the Community Development Partnership.
Location. 36° 24.051′ N, 93° 44.327′ W. Marker is in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, in Carroll County. Marker is on Main Street (State Highway 23) north of Benton Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 44 South Main Street, Eureka Springs AR 72632, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Civic Center (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Healing (within shouting distance of this marker); Bank of Eureka Springs Community Room (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chandler Mall Buildings (about 300 feet away); "Mud" Street and "Underground Eureka" (about 300 feet away); Bank of Eureka Springs The Southern Hotel (about 500 feet away); The Basin Bath House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eureka Springs.
Also see . . . City of Eureka Springs Official Site. (Submitted on October 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Government & Politics • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for The Western District Courthouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 403 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.