Phenix City in Russell County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
During the attack by Federal troops under Major General James H. Wilson on April 16, 1865, the fort and other outer defenses were not manned due to lack of Confederate manpower.
Erected 1988 by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Russell County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 28.947′ N, 85° 1.876′ W. Marker is in Phenix City, Alabama, in Russell County. Marker is on U.S. 80/280 near Stadium Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Phenix City AL 36867, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Fort Jabe Brassell (approx. 1.1 miles away); Allen Temple A.M.E. Church / Grant Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Union Night Attack Down Summerville Road (approx. 1.4 miles away); Red Hill Batteries (approx. 1.9 miles away); Albert Love Patterson (approx. 2 miles away); Before The Battle / Battle Of Girard (approx. 2 miles away); Ancient Fisheries (approx. 2.1 miles away); The Tie-Snake (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Phenix City.
Also see . . . Fort No. 5: An Endangered Piece of History. From an article on the website of Auburn University Chattahoochee Heritage Project. (Submitted on February 1, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,286 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on May 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.