Eureka Springs in Carroll County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The Southern Hotel
The Southern was built in the year 1880 adjacent to Basin Spring and some 25 feet above it on the hillside. L.M. Rainey of Missouri, its original owner, sold the hotel to W. E. Beatty in 1886, at which time it was acclaimed to be one of the city's two finest hotels, the other being Perry House, situated on the opposite side of the spring.
Damaged in the Great Fire of 1890, The Southern was repaired and enlarged to one hundred rooms, gas lighted throughout, and boasting for a time an outdoor "elevator" which lifted guests from Basin Spring level to hotel entrance.
Wallace McQuerry owned the hotel in 1932 and had renamed it Southern Home. On November 12 that year this handsome wooden structure which stood for just over half a century was destroyed in what the Times-Echo and other newspapers described as "a spectacular blaze."
Erected by Greater Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce and the Community Development Partnership.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1879.
Location. 36° 24.11′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 Spring Street, Eureka Springs AR 72632, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Basin Park Sycamore (a few steps from this marker); Spanish-American and World War Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Basin Bath House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stone Walls (within shouting distance of this marker); Chandler Mall Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); "Mud" Street and "Underground Eureka" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Perry House - Basin Park Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eureka Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 469 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.