Clayton in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Congregation Church Christian Endeavor Society acquired the property in 1896. After Congregation services ended in 1916, volunteer trustees maintained the hall for community use.
Citizens voted to incorporate Clayton at an election here in 1964. The city met here until 1995.
Trustees deeded the property to the city after the 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake. Clayton redevelopment funds restored Endeavor Hall with expanded facilities in 2001.
Erected 2001 by Clayton Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings.
Location. 37° 56.427′ N, 121° 56.199′ W. Marker is in Clayton, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Center Street and Oak Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clayton CA 94517, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clayton Cash Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Clayton (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Clayton Club (about 500 feet away); Joaquin Murrieta (about 600 feet away); The Joel Clayton House (about 600 feet away); The Clayton Post Office (about 700 feet away); The Eucalyptus Grove (about 700 feet away); The Growler Saloon – Goethals Building (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clayton.
Also see . . . Endeavor Hall. The Methodist Church built what is now Endeavor Hall in the 1860s on land probably donated by Joel Clayton. (Joel’s wife, Margaret, was a member of the Methodist Church.) The church was built of wood with a rock foundation. In the early years, circuit riding preachers linked the small rural community of Clayton with Martinez, Antioch and the coal mining town of Somersville. (Submitted on October 1, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 1, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.