Old Mill Creek
The Complex later included a grist mill, an orchard, a blacksmith shop, a warehouse and several homes. Michael Dousman purchased the site in 1819 and continued to operate the mill until 1839. By 1867 the buildings were gone and the site had fallen into disrepair. In 1975 the Mackinac Island State Park Commission acquired the site. It opened its recreated working sawmill to the public in 1984.
Erected 1985 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number 1154.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Before the bridge (approx. 3.4 miles away); Breaking the ice (approx. 3.4 miles away); Michigan State Ferry System / Michigan State Car Ferries (approx. 3˝ miles away); Auto Ferries (approx. 3˝ miles away); The Meneely Bell (approx. 3˝ miles away); Mill Creek (approx. 3˝ miles away); Edgar Conkling 1812-1881 (approx. 3˝ miles away); Ice Harvesting (approx. 3˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mackinaw City.
Also see . . . Historic Mill Creek Discovery Park. (Submitted on October 4, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 2, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 613 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on October 2, 2012, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.