Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

West

 
 
West Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
1. West Marker
Inscription.  This community traces its origin to the establishment by entrepreneur Thomas M. West of a stagecoach stop, dry goods store and post office here in the late 1860s. Known as the Bold Springs Settlement, these commercial structures were built on a section of the "Dallas Road" leading to West's ranch property. Early Anglo-American settlers were soon drawn to the area by its abundance of good water and the availability of rich wooded prairie blacklands. In 1880 the Missouri, Kansas, & Texas (Katy) Railroad erected a depot at Bold Springs and in 1882 the name of the community was changed to West in honor of Thomas West. The coming of the railroad and the emergence of cotton production in the 1880s attracted many Czech and German immigrants to this area. By 1900 the town had become the economic and cultural center of the thriving farming region of north-eastern McLennan County. The community soon added its first newspaper, bank, volunteer fire department, and its first block of brick buildings. By 1910 West was a bustling town of about 2000 people. Since then the community has experienced slow but steady growth. Westfest, an annual event since 1976,
West Marker, at City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
2. West Marker, at City Hall
Click or scan to see
this page online
celebrates the community's Czech heritage.
 
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5758.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 31° 48.145′ N, 97° 5.619′ W. Marker is in West, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker is on W Oak Street near N. Reagan Street. Located at City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 N Reagan Street, West TX 76691, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Groppe Building (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Crash at Crush (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Mary's School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Church of the Assumption (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named The Crash at Crush (approx. 3.9 miles away); St. Martin Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Tours Community (approx. 4.4 miles away); Czech Settlers in Hill County (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West.
 
Regarding West. Despite its name, West is located in the northern part of Texas, 19.3 miles north of Waco. Also, most of the city is located on the eastern side of Interstate 35.
 
Also see . . .  West is a city in McLennan County, Texas. On
West Marker (L), City Hall and Veterans Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
3. West Marker (L), City Hall and Veterans Memorial
June 11, 1892 West was officially organized into a town. It had become the center of commerce for the area. There were cotton gins, grocery stores, churches, schools and doctors' offices. (Submitted on October 5, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 486 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 5, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60001

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 10, 2021