Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Barry in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Barry

 
 
Barry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
1. Barry Marker
Inscription.  This agricultural community was named for Corsicana businessman Bryan T. Barry, who developed the land deeded for the townsite by early settlers Dave and Effie Wright. The Barry Post Office was established in 1886, the same year the St. Louis, Arkansas & Texas Railroad came through the town. The first post office was housed in the general store operated by Owen Taylor, who also was the town's first postmaster. Henry Allison later served as rural mail carrier for 40 years.

Early businesses in Barry included the First State Bank, which operated from 1909 until 1931, grocery stores, gas stations, drugstores, blacksmith shops, a newspaper office, a meat market, a cafe, and a hotel. In 1910, W. T. Woodruff and R. W. Varnell formed Woodruff and Co., which sold dry goods, hardware, and farm implements.

Settlers were attracted to the area by its rich farmland, and by 1920 most of the land had been cleared and planted in cotton. Barry's first cotton gin was established in 1899 by Dan McCammon, and E. Y. Jordan and Jack Hodge also operated early gins. Methodist and Baptist churches were organized by the end of the 19th century, and the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Barry School, which opened in 1895, served the area until 1958.
 
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8269.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
 
Location. 32° 5.95′ N, 96° 38.193′ W. Marker is in Barry, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker is on Houston Street (Road 1126) near South Front Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Barry TX 75102, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Barry Baptist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pinkston (approx. 3˝ miles away); Site of University Training School-Central Texas College (approx. 4˝ miles away); Blooming Grove United Methodist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Blooming Grove School (approx. 4.6 miles away); City of Blooming Grove (approx. 4.7 miles away); Campbell-Elrod Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); David Wilson Campbell (approx. 5.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Texas State Historical Association, Barry TX. The first public school had opened in 1896, and by 1906 it had two teachers and an enrollment of 127 pupils. (Submitted on October 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Barry Marker, along Houston Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
2. Barry Marker, along Houston Street
 
 
Barry Marker (far right) at Barry Post Office 75102 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 15, 2012
3. Barry Marker (far right) at Barry Post Office 75102
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 597 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60159

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024