Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Béziers in Hérault, Occitania, France — Western Europe
 

Hôtel de Ville

[City Hall]

 
 
Hôtel de Ville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 20, 2012
1. Hôtel de Ville Marker
Inscription.  Hier Agora, Forum, Maison communale... aujourd’hui Hôtel de Ville. Au XIII siècle, les Consuls de Béziers, bénéficiant de l’une des plus anciennes chartes communales consenties en Languedoc (1185), édifient une première maison commune. Suivront acquisitions successsive et aménagements : grande porte (1360), salle pour le clavaire (1373), pièce pour conservation du Compoix, pavage du parvis autour de la fontaine (1553), élévation d’une tour avec cloche et horloge (1647). En 1728, on procède à la réfection totale de l’ensemble des bâtiments, L’architecte de la Province, Rollin, est chargé de la réalisation. Il propose un projet grandiose de façade donnant sur la place de la fontaine : deux corps de bâtiments comportant une tour centrale. Seul ce beffroiest réalisé (1746). En 1788 est aménagé à l’étage une salle de spectacle. L’actuelle salle du Conseil Municipal est ornée de neuf fresques relatant l’histoire de Béziers (oeuvre de Biterrois Raoul Guiraud, prix de Rome de pienture).

[Translation by Google Translate (with modifications:
City Hall
Yesterday Agora, Forum, Communal House ... City Hall today. In the thirteenth

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
century, the Consuls of Béziers, enjoying one of the oldest communal charters granted in Languedoc (1185), built their first home together. Followed successive acquisitions and facilities : front door (1360), room for the clavaire (1373), a piece for conservation from Compoix, paving of the courtyard around the fountain (1553), elevation of a tower clock and bell (1647).

In 1728, we proceed to complete refurbishment of all buildings, the architect of the Province, Rollin, was responsible for implementation. The plan offered a grandiose façade overlooking Fountain Square: two buildings with a central tower. Only this beffroiest was realized (1746).

In 1788 is one in the upstairs hall. The current Municipal Council Chamber is decorated with nine frescoes depicting the story Béziers (Béziers work of Raoul Guiraud, Prix de Rome painter)].
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1728.
 
Location. 43° 20.559′ N, 3° 12.793′ E. Marker is in Béziers, Occitanie (Occitania), in Hérault. Marker is on Rue des Anciens Combattants near Rue du 4 Septembre. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Rue des Anciens Combattants, Béziers, Occitanie 34500, France. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pepezuc (within shouting distance of this marker); Les Halles (about 150 meters away, measured

Hôtel de Ville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 20, 2012
2. Hôtel de Ville Marker
in a direct line); La Chapelle des Recollets (about 210 meters away); Béziers Se Souvient (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Beziers Citizens Murdered (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Pierre Paul Riquet (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Ici Naquit Beziers (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Gare du Beziers (approx. 0.8 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Béziers.
 
Hôtel de Ville image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 20, 2012
3. Hôtel de Ville
Hôtel de Ville image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, September 20, 2012
4. Hôtel de Ville
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 443 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60252

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024