Fairfield in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Aftermath of Batle
— Gettysburg Campaign —
From the onset of the Civil War, Adams County and Fairfield were in a precarious position. Located just north of the Mason-Dixon Line and the slave state of Maryland, Fairfield's residents lived with the fear that the war might come home to them. It did, twice.
The more significant event occurred on July 3, 1863, after the "Battle of Fairfield" that was fought about two miles northeast of the town as the Battle of Gettysburg
On July 4 and 5, 1863, most of Gen. Robert E. Lee's army retreated from Gettysburg through Fairfield on its return to Virginia, leaving many of their wounded behind and creating additional hardships for the residents. For all the damage incurred during the war, $40,000 in damage claims were filed in Hamiltonban Township, of which $12,000 in claims were from the town of Fairfield.
(Sidebar 1): The threat of war first became a reality for Fairfield on October 10, 1862, when Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and 1,800 of his cavalrymen crossed the Potomac River and headed for south-central Pennsylvania. On the next afternoon, the force arrived in Fairfield, looted the stores, and made prisoners of Postmaster John B. Paxton,
(Sidebar 2): John Miller founded Fairfield (first called Millerstown) in 1784 on land originally part of Carroll's Delight. When Peter Shively bought the Miller property (now the Fairfield Inn) from James and Mary Wilson in November 1856, the improvements consisted of "a storehouse, a tavern house, extensive back buildings, a stone dwelling three stories high, a stone spring house, smoke house, oven, ash house, wood house, carriage house, oats house, stable, and other outhouses." On the eve of the Civil War, in addition to Shively's Mansion House hotel, the town included a school, for churches, two tanners and curriers, three blacksmith shops, one huckster, one confectioner, one boot and shoe manufacturer, one Justice of the Peace, and the general merchandise stores of Rinehart & Sullivan and Paxton & McCreary.
Erected 2012 by Civil War Trails.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1863.
Location. 39° 47.219′ N, 77° 22.173′ W. Marker is in Fairfield, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (State Highway 116) and Spring Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairfield PA 17320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Fairfield Inn (here, next to this marker); Army of the Potomac (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John's United Church of Christ Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Field Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Major Samuel S. Starr (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harry E. Brown (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Fairfield (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fairfield (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,111 times since then and 128 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 12, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 2. submitted on October 14, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.