Beaumont in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
French Trading Post
Built 1845 by John J. French (1799-1889), merchant and tanner who came from Connecticut and New York to Texas in 1830s. Served as home and store, with tannery nearby. Early settlers came to “French Town” to trade tallow, hides, corn, and beef for shoes, harnesses, tanned skins, salt, coffee, tea, cloth, and everyday items. Home remained in French family for 95 years (until 1940). French Road, French schools in area still bear family name. Purchased by Beaumont Junior League, 1968; given to Beaumont Heritage Society. Restored to its 1845 appearance in 1969.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10527.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1845.
Location. 30° 6.622′ N, 94° 8.599′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is at the intersection of Arbor Lane and French Road, on the left when traveling north on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3025 French Road, Beaumont TX 77706, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prater Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); F/RF-101 Voodoo (approx. 1.9 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); Beaumont (approx. 2 miles away); West Beulah Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Magnolia Missionary Baptist Church of Beaumont (approx. 2.3 miles away); Dr. Charles F. L. N. Graham (approx. 2.3 miles away); Blind Willie Johnson (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
Also see . . . The John Jay French Trading Post: A Glimpse into the Past of Beaumont, Texas. Scholarworks website entry:
East Texas Historical Journal: Vol. 8 : Iss. 1 , Article 6. (Submitted on April 18, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2022. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 762 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on October 27, 2021, by Dennis Durkee of Beaumont, Texas. 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.