Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eufaula in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 7, 2012
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1836 sixteen Eufaula Presbyterians met in a room above William McKenzie’s store to hold worship services. By 1838 the congregation had built their first sanctuary dedicated to worship on the southeast corner of Forsyth Ave. and Union Street. Eufaula’s first church bell rang from the Greek Revival building. By the 1860’s the congregation had begun to grow. In 1869, John McNab paid to have this sanctuary built here at the corner of Randolph Ave. and Church Place. It is a Gothic structure built in the style of an English parish church. The Sunday School building and fellowship hall were added in 1959.
 
Erected 2007 by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and First Presbyterian Church.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location. 31° 53.691′ N, 85° 8.626′ W. Marker is in Eufaula, Alabama, in Barbour County. Marker is on North Randolph Avenue. It is located in front of the church on North Randolph Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North Randolph Avenue, Eufaula AL 36027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 7, 2012
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
walking distance of this marker. Hart House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The St. Julian Hotel (about 700 feet away); In Honor of All World War II Veterans (about 700 feet away); World War I Doughboy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vietnam Veteran Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Eufaula (approx. ¼ mile away); Eufaula (approx. ¼ mile away); The Creek Town of Eufaula (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eufaula.
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, October 7, 2012
3. First Presbyterian Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 26, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 693 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 26, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60560

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 21, 2022