Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Clarke Library Building
The next year, a group of citizens organized the Marietta Library Association, but lacked a permanent location and public funding. Miss Clarke developed a plan to merge the two libraries and encouraged her many friends from New England, including Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes, to contribute money to erect a new brick building at the corner of Church and Lemon Streets, where the c. 1845 William Root house then stood.
The Root house was moved to Lemon Street behind its original location. On October 26, 1893, the Sarah Freeman Clarke Library, modeled after the British Museum reading room, formally opened to the public with 4,000 volumes, 2,000 which were donated by Ms. Clarke.
In 1938, an addition to the rear was completed and the north wing was added in 1945. The Clarke Library added two branches, Fort Hill and Marietta Hill prior to merging into the Cobb County Library System in 1959.
Marble plaque for south addition
The south wing was added in 1927 and dedicated in honor of Mabel Cortelyou for her years of service as a library volunteer.
Letter from Sarah Freeman Clarke to Dr. Cortelyou proposing the merger of Marietta’s Library Association, July 21, 1890.
Credit: Privately owned, Atlanta, Georgia.
Library ca 1893. Built at a cost of $2,000.00
This property has been designated as a Local Historic Landmark by the City of Marietta Historic Preservation Commission and the Marietta City Council.
Erected 2012 by The City of Marietta Historic Preservation Commission and the Marietta City Council.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1931.
Location. 33° 57.332′ N, 84° 33.006′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 163 Church Street, Marietta GA 30060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Root House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Zion Heritage Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1916 Glover Machine Works Locomotive (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexander Stephens Clay (approx. 0.2 miles Kennesaw House (approx. 0.2 miles away); UDC and Kennesaw House (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Kennesaw House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cobb County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 450 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.