Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wichita in Sedgwick County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Area History

 
 
Area History Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., October 24, 2011
1. Area History Marker
Inscription.  This site, originally platted in December, 1870, dates back to Wichita's early development with the establishment of the Wichita & Southwestern Railroad, later absorbed by the Santa Fe System. The railroad was completed at Wichita in May, 1872 and the town's commercial enterprises responded by "reaching out to it", thus developing Douglas Avenue to this location. The Stock Pens, three blocks to the southeast, were visible from this point. From there thousands of cattle were shipped to the Eastern markets from the Chisholm Trail. The original depot was located on the north side of Douglas Avenue where the overpass is today. In 1883, a mule-drawn streetcar system was established along Douglas Avenue terminating at the depot. The "drummers" (hotel runners), who rode the cars were always trying to outdo each other by hollering the virtues of their respective hotels to passengers on the cars. The slow-moving cars passed this location on Douglas Avenue. Two "fancy" hotels of note were adjacent to this land. The Carey, larger of the two, was located across the street west, with the Tremont across the street south on William Street. St. Francis was
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
originally named Fourth Avenue, later changed to Tremont after the historic hotel. After the Tremont was razed, a "Red Light" District began to flourish along Tremont Avenue from the railroad trade. Later, the city council took action to regain respectability for the area by renaming the avenue St. Francis after its counterpart to the north. Cary Nation's famous temperance raid on the Carey Hotel bar occurred on the morning of December 27, 1900, and has contributed to the rich history of this area.
 
Erected 1979 by City of Wichita.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1872.
 
Location. 37° 41.15′ N, 97° 19.888′ W. Marker is in Wichita, Kansas, in Sedgwick County. Marker is at the intersection of Douglas Avenue and St. Francis Street, on the right when traveling east on Douglas Avenue. Marker is on the entrance gate to Naftzger Memorial Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wichita KS 67202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Maurice Clifton Naftzger (here, next to this marker); The Eaton Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Hauser Garrison Dry Goods Building (about 500 feet away,
Naftzger Memorial Park Entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr.
2. Naftzger Memorial Park Entrance
measured in a direct line); McCormick Harvester Building (about 600 feet away); College Hill Streetcar No. 230 (about 600 feet away); Commercial / Residential Buildings (approx. 0.2 miles away); F. G. & C. H. Smyth & Sons Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Walterscheid Pump Factory & Machine Shop Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wichita.
 
Also see . . .  Naftzger Memorial Park, Wichita. "Visit Wichita" entry (Submitted on October 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Carry Nation WCTU Fountain in Naftzger Memorial Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., October 24, 2011
3. Carry Nation WCTU Fountain in Naftzger Memorial Park
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 27, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60594

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024