Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cabin of Lt. Col. J.B. Leake
(Camp Ford, Tyler Texas)
The sketch at the right, drawn by Col. A.H.H. Duganne of the 176th New York, shows Leake's cabin with the same porch roof in its position in the stockade.
Erected by Smith County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tyler TX 75702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Camp Ford - Establishment of the Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ford Stockade (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ford Confederate Guards (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ford - Early Days as a Prison Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ford - Prisoners from Louisiana (within shouting distance of this marker); African Americans at Camp Ford (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ford - Naval Prisoners (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ford (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Regarding Cabin of Lt. Col. J.B. Leake. On this site during the Civil War was located Camp Ford the largest prisoner of war compound for Union troops west of Mississippi river named in honor of Col. John S. "Rip" Ford who originally established a training camp here in 1862. It was converted in the summer of 1863 to a prison camp.
It first consisted of four to five acres enclosed by a stockade sixteen feet high. In the spring of 1864 following
Union soldiers representing nearly one hundred different regiments plus sailors from gunboats and transports were confined here. In addition there were imprisoned Union sympathizers, spies and even Confederate deserters.
The prisoners constructed their own shelters ranging from log huts and burrows called "shebangs" to brush arbors and tents made of blankets.
A spring, located about 199yards southwest of this marker, furnished an ample supply of good water. Their meager rations, essentially the same as that of their guards, usually consisted of beef and corn meal and were sometimes supplemented by vegetables purchased from nearby farms Although escape attempts were frequent, very few were successful due to the long distance to union lines and the difficulty in eluding the tracking hounds used by the Confederate guards.
Even though conditions were primitive it compared favorably with the other Civil War prison camps. Camp Ford continued to serve as a prison until the surrender of the Trans-Mississippi
Also see . . . The Battle of Stirling's Plantation (also known as the Battle of Fordoche Bridge). Only a few Union infantry managed to escape. The Federals lost 16 dead, 45 wounded, and 454 prisoners. Confederate losses were 26 dead, 85 wounded and ten missing. Additionally, the Confederates took two ten pounder parrot rifles with caissons, two new ambulances, one hospital wagon loaded with medical supplies, and all of the arms of the captured men. (Confederate Brigadier General Thomas) Green quickly consolidated his prisoners and spoils and moved back to the river, crossing it as quickly as possible. The prisoners were then marched via Alexandria, Natchitoches, Mansfield and Shreveport to the Camp Ford prison camp near Tyler, Texas, where they arrived on October 23, 1863 (Submitted on October 28, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 523 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 28, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.