Near Dovesville in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Mt. Zion Baptist Church
This church, founded in 1869, was organized by 36 black members of nearby Black Creek Baptist Church, who received letters of dismissal to form their own congregation. Rev. William Hart, its first minister, served until his death in 1872. He was succeeded by his son, Rev. Alfred Hart, who served here 1872 ~ 79, after representing Darlington County in the S.C. House 1870 ~ 72.
The church held its first services in a brush arbor on this site, which its trustees bought from James C. McCallman in 1872. After worshiping under a frame shelter for several years, Mt. Zion built its first permanent sanctuary, a frame building in 1890. The congregation grew enough to build build a second frame church in 1908. The present brick sanctuary was dedicated in 1979.
Erected 2011 by The Darlington County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16 ~ 64.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion.
Location. 34° 23.786′ N, 79° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3208 North Governor Williams Highway, Darlington SC 29540, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Westfield Lide House (approx. 4.2 miles away); John L. Hart House (approx. 4˝ miles away); Mont Clare Community Center (approx. 4.8 miles away); Darlington District Agricultural Society / The Mineral Spring (approx. 4.9 miles away); David Rogerson Williams (approx. 5 miles away); George W. Dargan (approx. 6.1 miles away); “Yankee Hill” (approx. 6.4 miles away); Darlington County Jail (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 28, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 571 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 28, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.