Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown in Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Isaac Blackford

 
 
Isaac Blackford Marker, side one image. Click for full size.
Indiana Historical Bureau, March 6, 2012
1. Isaac Blackford Marker, side one
Inscription.  Born 1786 in New Jersey; admitted to the bar 1810. Residing in Vincennes, Indiana Territory in 1815; later elected Speaker of the first state House of Representatives. In September 1817, Governor Jennings appointed Blackford to Indiana Supreme Court. He served 1817- 1852, publishing the Court’s decisions in his eight- volume, nationally acclaimed Reports of Cases.

Blackford invested in Indiana land, including properties in new state capital, Indianapolis; purchased land here, 1832. He helped establish Indiana Colonization Society, and promoted education. In 1855, U.S. President Franklin Pierce, appointed Blackford to U.S. Court of Claims, Washington, D.C.; he served until his death; buried in Indianapolis January 1860.
 
Erected 2011 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Indiana Supreme Court. (Marker Number 49.2011.1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #14 Franklin Pierce
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, and the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1786.
 
Location. 39° 46.296′ N, 86° 10.208′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. It is in Downtown. Marker is on N. Blackford Street near W. New York Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Indianapolis IN 46202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bulgarian Orthodox Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Herron School of Art and Design (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civil War Training Camp (about 700 feet away); Romanian Orthodox Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Camp Sullivan (Military Park) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Adams County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Huntington County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
 
Isaac Blackford Marker, side two image. Click for full size.
Indiana Historical Bureau, March 6, 2012
2. Isaac Blackford Marker, side two
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2023. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2012, by Aimee Rose Formo of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,035 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2012, by Aimee Rose Formo of Indianapolis, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60668

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024