Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Abbeville in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Henry, The Mother County

 
 
Henry, The Mother County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, October 14, 2012
1. Henry, The Mother County Marker
Inscription.  Upon formation, Henry County was the largest county within Alabama composing all or portions of the present counties of Barbour, Coffee, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Geneva, Houston and Pike. When the youngest county of Houston was formed in 1903, Henry became the smallest. Franklin, the Dead River port of Abbeville on the Chattahoochee River, was the colonial settlers first beachhead into the wild west of Creek Indian Territory after 1814. Old Henry was the original Alabama wiregrass area.
 
Erected 1979.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1903.
 
Location. 31° 34.268′ N, 85° 15.009′ W. Marker is in Abbeville, Alabama, in Henry County. Marker is on Kirkland Street, on the right when traveling north. Located on the lawn of the Henry County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abbeville AL 36310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A County Older Than the State (within shouting distance of this marker); In Honor of William Calvin Oates (within shouting distance of this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker); Nordan's (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Abbeville/Seven Flags and an Arrow Over Abbeville (about 300 feet away); Methodist Episcopal Church, South (about 600 feet away); The First Baptist Church of Abbeville/Abbeville Pioneer Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bethune-Kennedy House (approx. ¼ mile away); The Southeast Alabama Agricultural School / First Free Secondary School in Alabama (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abbeville.
 
Henry, The Mother County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David J Gaines, October 14, 2012
2. Henry, The Mother County Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,151 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2012, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60683

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024