Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clinton in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Thrift School

1884-1909

 
 
Thrift School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), August 9, 2020
1. Thrift School Marker
Inscription.  One of the oldest surviving one-room schoolhouses in Prince George’s County, Thrift School was built in 1884. It replaced an earlier school from 1869 located on the same site. The School Commissioners, having acquired the one-acre tract from the Bryan Family 15 years earlier, contracted J.B. Townshend to rebuild the school for $495. The school’s first two modern innovations were acquired in 1905—a water closet and a typewriter.

The school was closed in 1909 after area residents requested that a new school be built in a more accessible location. Subsequently, the property was sold and the structure was altered to serve as a dwelling; however, despite the alterations, it still retains the exterior appearance of a typical late 19th century schoolhouse. In 1962, the school and 500 acres were conveyed to The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission and are now a part of Cosca Regional Park.

Historic Property of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
For additional information, call 301-218-9564
 
Erected by Maryland National Park and Planning
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
 
Location. 38° 43.723′ N, 76° 55.177′ W. Marker is in Clinton, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Thrift Road, 0.2 miles east of Tippet Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clinton MD 20735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Louise F. Cosca Regional Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); John Wilkes Booth (approx. 2.7 miles away); Surratt Tavern (approx. 2.7 miles away); a different marker also named John Wilkes Booth (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Mary Surratt House (approx. 2.8 miles away); Crucifix (approx. 2.9 miles away); T. B. (approx. 3.1 miles away); “Coach” James W. Crawford (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clinton.
 
Also see . . .  Cosca Regional Park. The Thrift School is now part of this park. (Submitted on March 10, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Thrift School and marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), August 9, 2020
2. Thrift School and marker
Thrift School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By M. A. Pimentel, March 9, 2008
3. Thrift School
The Thrift School, in 1974 image. Click for full size.
M. Dwyer - Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), August 1, 1974
4. The Thrift School, in 1974
Thrift School, southeast elevation image. Click for full size.
Susan G. Pearl - Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), December 1984
5. Thrift School, southeast elevation
Thrift School, southwest elevation image. Click for full size.
Susan G. Pearl - Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), December 1984
6. Thrift School, southwest elevation
Thrift School, northeast elevation image. Click for full size.
Susan G. Pearl - Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), December 1984
7. Thrift School, northeast elevation
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 9, 2008, by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,799 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 9, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   3. submitted on March 9, 2008, by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland.   4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 10, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=6084

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 25, 2024