Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waugh in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Lucas Tavern

Circa 1818

 
 
Lucas Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2012
1. Lucas Tavern Marker
Inscription.  Stood 2800 feet north of this point, just west of Line Creek on the Federal Road. Moved to Montgomery in 1978 to serve as the Visitor and Information Center for the Old North Hull Historic District, it is the oldest remaining building in Montgomery County. Original proprietor, James Abercrombie, ran it from about 1818. Walter B. Lucas announced his take over of the tavern in the January 6, 1821 issue of the Montgomery Republican. A four-room frame building with a long central hall, the tavern's most famous guest was Revolutionary War hero the Marquis de Lafayette who stayed here on April 2, 1825 during his triumphant tour of the United States.
 
Erected 2002 by East Montgomery County Historical Society, Inc., Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association, and the Lafayette’s Farewell Tour series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1792.
 
Location. 32° 21.957′ N, 86° 2.517′ W. Marker is in Waugh
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on AL-8 (U.S. 80), on the right. Located approx. 0.6 miles east of Alabama exit 16 on I-85. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pike Road AL 36064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Oaks Plantation (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lucas Hill Cemetery (approx. 2.2 miles away); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Prairie Farms Resettlement Community (approx. 3.2 miles away); Georgia Washington School (approx. 3.6 miles away); Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Chantilly Plantation (approx. 3.9 miles away); Brewer Memorial Church (approx. 4.9 miles away).
 
Regarding Lucas Tavern. ... In 1978 the Landmarks Foundation bought it and moved it into Old Alabama Town. The tavern was completely restored by 1980....that can all be found in Old North Hull Square, in the Old North Hull Historic District. The address is 310 North Hull Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
 
Lucas Tavern Marker, at driveway to the site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2012
2. Lucas Tavern Marker, at driveway to the site
Lucas Tavern Marker, seen along US 80 (State Route 8), looking westward image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 12, 2012
3. Lucas Tavern Marker, seen along US 80 (State Route 8), looking westward
Lucas Tavern - North Hull Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Google Street View
4. Lucas Tavern - North Hull Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2024. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,297 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4. submitted on January 19, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60906

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024