Corsicana in Navarro County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Welding Shop of H. C. Nicol
Expert with acetylene torch, Nicol is remembered as first welder operating in the Navarro County oil fields, which opened 1894. He began work about 1912, at a time when he had to mix own welding chemicals. In addition he pioneered welding of cast iron and aluminum in this area.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1968
Erected 1968 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7239.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
Location. 32° 5.355′ N, 96° 27.848′ W. Marker is in Corsicana, Texas, in Navarro County. Marker can be reached from 400 Block South 12th Street. Located between West 7th Avenue and West 10th Avenue in the Petroleum Industry Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corsicana TX 75110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of the Texas Oil Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); The Birthplace of the Petroleum Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); First Commercial Oil Discovery in Texas Magnolia Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Collin Street Bakery (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Capt. Charles Henry Allyn (approx. 0.2 miles away); From Steam to Electric Rail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Johnson-McCammon House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corsicana.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 349 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. a clearer photo of the marker • Can you help?