Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oak Harbor in Island County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
 

Oak Harbor’s Early “Town”

 
 
Oak Harbor’s Early “Town” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, October 31, 2012
1. Oak Harbor’s Early “Town” Marker
Inscription.  Oak Harbor’s early “town” was built along the waterfront, and stretched from Maylor’s store along Pioneer Way to about a block east of the junction of Flintstone Freeway and Midway and Pioneer.
The east end of the town burned in a disastrous fire that started from a spark from Gil Kennedy’s blacksmith shop on a hot day in July 1920.
A good half the town went, Byrne’s hotel, Byrne’s store, the blacksmith shop, creamery, “Cap” Sill’s garage, and Dad Smith’s little house. There was no fire department and at the cry of “Fire” everyone in town turned out to form a bucket-brigade from Alfred Maylor’s house. The water was inadequate, everything burned. The Byrne Hotel was advertised in Seattle papers as a “resort” and had indoor plumbing, carpeting and brought many visitors via boat from Everett & Seattle.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1920.
 
Location. 48° 17.37′ N, 122° 38.621′ W. Marker is in Oak Harbor, Washington, in Island County. Marker is at the intersection
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of SE Pioneer Way and SE Bayshore Drive on SE Pioneer Way. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1299 SE Pioneer Way, Oak Harbor WA 98277, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flintstone Park Flagpole (approx. ¼ mile away); Oak Harbor's Ties to the Sea (approx. 0.3 miles away); Beeksma’s Corner (approx. 0.7 miles away); U.S. Navy Patrol and Reconnaissance Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Skagit, a stately society (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Jolly Boat (approx. 5.1 miles away); Zylstra Law Office (approx. 5.1 miles away); Welcome (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oak Harbor.
 
Oak Harbor’s Early “Town” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, October 31, 2012
2. Oak Harbor’s Early “Town” Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 562 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=60938

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024