Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Kennedy Bakery
Irish native John Kennedy (1819-78) came to Houston in 1842. A baker, he operated a store at other locations in the city before commissioning the construction of this building about 1860 for a steam bakery. Kennedy later established other operations and became a leading businessman of Houston. One of the oldest structures in the city on its original site, the two-story brick building remained in the Kennedy family until 1970.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10712.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 29° 45.784′ N, 95° 21.714′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Congress Street and Travis Street, on the right when traveling west on Congress Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 Congress Street, Houston TX 77002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Market Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Houston Cotton Exchange and Board of TradeMagnolia Brewery Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building (about 500 feet away); Hogg Building (about 700 feet away); First White House of the Republic of Texas (about 700 feet away); State National Bank Building (about 700 feet away); Pillot Building (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Also see . . . Houston Architecture Page. (Submitted on November 11, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 11, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 611 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 11, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.